All the interests of my reason, speculative as well as practical, combine in the three following questions: 1. What can I know? 2. What ought I to do? 3. What may I hope?
Jan 2014 – May 2014
Web Developer, COURSES – MOOC Search Engine
(Senior Project; Advisor: Chengxiang Zhai)
- Developed COURSES, a Massive Open Online Course (MOOC) search engine, which provides users with a single source platform to search for open online courses from various MOOC websites such as Coursera, Udacity etc.
- Utilized modified Apache Solr framework for ranking search results; utilized Ruby, PhantomJS, XML, and Regular Expressions to retrieve information from MOOC websites and parse retrieved data into database.
- Proposed a new POS Weighted TF-IDF algorithm which improves the original search result (published).
- Developed an Android application that allows the user to import their own vocab books (either text files or XML files), with automatic vocab information completion using a customized dictionary containing 430,000+ vocabularies.
- Auto-generates pie charts to presents user’s statistics of each vocab list and vocab book.
- GitHub: http://bit.ly/1jb6HMx
- Developed an application that generates qualified EPUB files from plain text files.
- Utilized C#, HTML, and Regular Expressions for back-end work; utilized DotNetBar framework for front-end UI.
- GitHub: http://bit.ly/1mw0YBE
- Developed an application that converts plain text file into 6-inch Microsoft Word doc file for use on Kindle.
- Utilized AutoHotKey, HTML, Microsoft Office API, and Regular Expressions to develop auto-configuration of doc file based on user inputs (e.g., font/color/spacing for chapter titles and body contents).
- GitHub: http://bit.ly/1m4Ujgs
- Developed textbook transaction website (“Bookbay”) with teammates through coding in PHP and managing user data.
- Utilized PHP code snippet that uses Amazon API to get xml data and parsed xml files to mine desired data.
- Designed and implemented UI of website to make website both user-friendly and aesthetically pleasing.
- GitHub: http://bit.ly/X5Qr0p
- Developed an e-book management system in Java that allows the user to organize e-books and facilitate backup, which resulted from recognizing my own need for the software while organizing my e-book files.
- GitHub: http://bit.ly/ykSNtp